Friday 30 September 2011

BUILD

The word given to me by the "randomizer" was 'build'.



At first I was extremely disappointed with this word. After a few attempts at some examples, I became increasingly frustrated with it.
From the beginning I wanted to feature all of my letters on acetate. As we were only allowed to use black and white, I assumed this would be ok. The first few letters went great, but it got up to a point where the acetate was getting so dirty, it would become covered in everything I was using and it all got a bit scruffy. Card on acetate also wasn't the most attractive situation. 
Unfortunately, my acetate supply ran out, and the shop didn't sell any. This led me to start over completely on plastic sleeves...they looked awful.
Attempt 3 was black card. I liked the way a lot of them looked on it, however, I felt so restricted by the black and white brief. Every time I felt myself putting white card onto black card I became annoyed, my imagination stuck at finding something else more imaginative that I could use. 
Once they were all complete, I was satisfied by the majority, but there are evidently a few that could be worked upon. With more time I would have loved to have found more interesting ways of creating my letters by hand. Normally a very hands on person, I felt like I wasn't doing my best with this project. I believe this was mainly due to the choice of materials and colour restriction.

No comments:

Post a Comment