Monday 21 November 2011

END OF MODULE EVALUATION

1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I have developed a number skills throughout this module, particularly with typefaces. I have never designed my own typeface before, in foundation we didn't really look all that closely at type. I must admit, to begin with I really struggled, but the more we worked with type I became a lot more confident, and enjoyed creating the alphabet for my partner.
My skills in Illustrator were also non-existant. I picked it up quite quickly during Simon's task. For the time I've had using Illustrator, I've learned a handful of techniques which I was then able to apply to my brief. Although what I produced was quite simple, I'm pretty pleased with it, but definitely hope to expand my skills further.
Over the past few weeks, I have also learnt a lot about colour and how to apply it effectively. So far, in my past few briefs, I have only used black, white and stock, which has been appropriate. I am looking forward to applying my new knowledge of colour to the next briefs. 


2. What approaches to/methods of idea generation have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I have always been the type of person to work in a sketchbook. Throughout foundation I had a handful of them, and also a couple of diaries. Whilst we also used a blog, it wasn't to the extent that I do now. 
At the start of the year here, I worked within a sketchbook, but soon realised it wasn't really working. I got into using larger sheets, creating mind maps and lists. These were extremely useful at quickly producing and expanding on ideas. However, I found it quite difficult during the task of getting down 50 thumbnail ideas, yet once I got into it I found it a really clever way of effectively producing a large range of designs. I have always struggled with design sheets, however, worrying too much about what they look like, and once I get set on an idea that I like I struggle to produce anymore. Hopefully as time goes on, I will get a lot more confident with working in this way.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

My strengths have always really lied in image. I have previously worked a lot with photography and enjoy looking at composition and layout within image. During both parts of the proverbally yours brief, I felt confident working with image and collage, and was glad I got the chance to. Hopefully, soon I will get the chance to use my own photography within my work and also build upon creating and working with image on Illustrator.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

I definitely need to get better at using and creating design sheets. I struggle to get my ideas down on big pieces of paper, probably out of fear of them looking awful, but also because I've never really worked with them before. Hopefully as time progresses I will get used to using them to generate ideas quickly and effectively. 
Another weakness is definitely Illustrator. This can be addressed by just persevering with it and continuing to practice in my spare time.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

1. Produce more design sheets so that I have a better range of ideas and design possibilities, this will help me generate better final products and get the most out of the brief set.
2. Blog as soon as I can. I got into the habit at first of just posting images and planning on returning at a later date to write about them. It would be much more useful for me to just get it all done as soon as possible, otherwise things will become lost or forgotten about. By doing this, my blog will be up-to-date and the information will be fresh in my mind.
3. I would love the opportunity to work on my proverbally yours posters a bit more. I think the idea behind them is strong, yet I could have thought about layout and typefaces a bit more effectively. This would improve the overall impact of what I was trying to say.
4. I would have loved to of used more methods and different ways of working. A lot of people created stickers and used the laser cutter. Although these weren't particularly appropriate to the work I was producing, it would have been interesting to experiment with them a bit in order to show different processes.
5. Visited the library more often as opposed to just relying mainly on the internet for research. Although at the beginning I used my own books and magazines for inspiration, I soon became a bit hooked on using the internet as it's so readily available and easy to use. By using the library, I think I could have gained a vaster range of ideas and influences.

6. How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
5 = excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

Attendance 5
Punctuality 5
Motivation 3
Commitment 3/4
Quantity of work produced 3
Quality of work produced 3
Contribution to the group 3

No comments:

Post a Comment