Monday 30 January 2012

TYPEFACES

Mensch Bold inline and Mensch thin





Armenian Circus regular


These are the two main typefaces that I have decided on using.
Mensch is described as a 'condensed uppercase typeface with regular, thin, inline, and bold weights.' Throughout, I stuck mainly to using this typeface in inline and thin. In bold inline, it becomes a really quirky and fun font. It's legible and works really nicely with this of colour coming through. I felt it was something a bit different, with a nice and playful aesthetic to it, suitable for a younger audience. When scaled down, however, inline becomes pretty illegible, and could not be used for any sort of body copy. Because of this, I therefore opted to use Mensch in 'thin' also.

My reasonings for choosing Armenian Circus are probably quite obvious. I found this after visiting a blog of a person who collects circus/carnival/sideshow fonts (http://magicjelly.typepad.com/magicjelly/2008/04/my-favourite-ci.html). This list of top 12 were given...

Big Top
De Louisville
J F Ferrule
URWWood Typ D
Cast Iron
Circus
Pointedly Mad
Armenian Circus
Hoedown
Romantiques
Coney Island
Abilene FLF

 I wanted something that stood out and really expressed my theme, yet I didn't just want to opt for the standard circus font that is continuously used in posters. It's main use will be for titles and headings, as it will not work as a body copy. Each letter is also quite closely packed together therefore this will have to be considered.

No comments:

Post a Comment