Thursday 23 February 2012

QUEENIE

As my previous posters focused on simplicity, I wanted to veer away from what I had originally been doing in order to get some variety, and to see what was going to work best. 
The Queen is evidently an obvious 'symbol' of Britain and what it means to be British, so I thought I'd have a bit of a play around with this.
Straight away it led me to a play on words. The idea of rain and reign. 


The phrase 'don't let it rain on my parade' is well known, so I considered incorporating this somehow. 
To begin with, I wanted to create a backdrop for my poster, and looked at using Buckingham Palace. It is a typical tourist site, situated in the capital of England. London is evidently a city that many people come to visit when coming over, and it is extremely well known around the world.
I took this image from google and used a section of it to create something that was representative of the building.


I began by using the pen tool to trace certain sections of the palace, focusing on the gate and the pillars as I felt that these stood out.



I then began to use the shape tool to fill certain sections of the image in.





Different shapes and layers of colour were used to build up the final image. I wanted to keep the colours in-keeping with rainy weather, however I still wanted to make it a 'positive' image, and not one that would continue to put people off from visiting. 


Next, I wanted to put the Queen herself within the image. 


It took me a while, but I eventually found an image of the Queen holding an umbrella (image taken from the Telegraph). This image was perfect, not only because it's raining, but because she is smiling. Even the Queen loves the rain.








In the end, after spending ages on my Buckingham Palace, as I tried to put the two images together, it just wasn't working. It became too cluttered and there wasn't a way in which I could put them together so that you could still tell what was in the background. In order to keep things a little simpler, I used a solid coloured background. As I'd used opacities, however, once I put the Queen onto a blue background, you can see how it has affected the colour of the image. The difference can clearly be seen in the two pictures down below. Although I don't think it necessarily ruins it, the Queen is looking a little bit grey.

No comments:

Post a Comment